The Keto Cookbook – Information on the ketogenic diet and 96 recipes to treat seizures and epilepsy
The KETO COOKBOOK is a MUST HAVE – an ABSOLUTE MUST HAVE – for all families, caregivers and associated professionals who need an in-depth understanding of the ketogenic diet and its application to help reduce seizures in children with epilepsy and other neurological conditions.
The Keto Cookbook, co-authored by Dawn Martinez and Laura Cramp, RD, LD, CNSC, is written with the same precision and detail that the very nature of the diet dictates, reflecting awareness, skill and vast experience of the two women.
Dawn is the mother of Charlotte, who has Dravet Syndrome, and who responded so successfully to the Keto Diet after extensive and unsuccessful attempts with antiepileptic antiepileptics.
Laura is a Registered Dietitian at Children’s National Medical Center in Washington, DC, not only working with patients and their families, but advising healthcare professionals and hospital staff on the intricacies of using the ketogenic diet to treat epilepsy and reduce seizures.
Gone is the myth that this diet is unappetizing, unpleasant, boring and unattractive! Beautifully illustrated recipes for 96 different delicious dishes and snacks bear witness to this. All recipes:
– are Keto approved
– give the number of calories
– give the exact ingredients for a 4:1 ratio diet
– are further described with symbols for other aspects of the recipe, e.g. ‘Quick’, ‘Vegetarian’, ‘Freezes well’.
The actual diet, while all important, is just one of the many aspects Keto families need to address and fully understand.
Other chapters covering all eventualities to make the rigorous demands of the ketogenic diet as manageable as possible include:
– fill the pantry for emergencies presented by both unforeseen calamities of the daily schedule and major emergencies such as power outages, floods, snow, etc.
– keep a supply of instant snacks and frozen meals that can be quickly…
– presentation of the kitchen by removing any temptation from prying fingers
– equip the kitchen with the essentials for preparing meals, to save time without precision
– model letters to present in airports, schools, hospitals, etc. to ease the situation
I highly recommend the “Keto Cookbook” because in the world of the ketogenic diet, it would be hard to match the combined knowledge and experience of the authors, who wrote with precision and professionalism, but from a base of heartbreak and of love.
It is difficult to estimate the happiness brought to a family of a child with uncontrollable seizures when the Keto diet is successful in reducing or eliminating the seizures. From watching helplessly as their child slowly deteriorates and falls behind developmentally, to seeing the success of the diet – the child reappearing with their previously known, developmentally progressing personality , regaining speech and other milestones is unimaginable stress replaced by unimaginable joy for those involved.